Saturday, August 14, 2010

Trying to lose weight? I feel your pain – Part 1

It’s been a while since I posted, and that’s because I’ve been too busy to write – or at least that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. I’ve also been on the road a lot. My blog isn’t the only thing that’s suffered as a result. I don’t care what anybody tells you, if you’re busy, traveling, and eating out, it is tough to keep off the pounds.

I now find myself registered to do a “just for fun” 24-hour mountain bike endurance race in October, and with only about 8 weeks to go before the event I’m 10 pounds over my ideal “just for fun” race weight. If you also want to lose weight, I’m in the struggle along with you, and I’m feeling your pain.

As I get down to the weight I want to be, I’m going to take a good, hard look at all of the reasons (really just excuses) that will interfere with the achievement of my goal. I’m going to bear my soul and write about them, as well as the tactics I’ll use to overcome them. Some habits, as well as the way I think, will need to change in order for me to accomplish what I want, and that may not be too much fun. Whether I succeed or fail, I’ll report my progress to you along the way.

I’ve already taken the first steps to successful behavior change: by writing this blog, I’m making a public commitment and seeking support; I’ve set realistic and measurable long- and short-term goals (10 pounds in 2 months, 1 ½ pounds per week); I’m convinced that the benefits of my changes will outweigh the negatives; and I’ll be routinely measuring my progress.

Follow along, and I’ll take you right up to race day. You can also follow me on Twitter - @DrSeale.

The author submits this blog posting as a health educator and not in any other capacity. You should seek the advice of your physician regarding a personal health condition or before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.

No comments:

Post a Comment