Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Feel Your Pain - Part 3

Do you know enough about dieting to write your own diet book, yet there are times when you can’t seem to stay at your ideal weight? I can relate. It’s not that we don’t all know what we should be doing. We like what we do; we just don’t always like the results. Getting back on track, and the pounds off, has more to do with behavior than with food. Habits are hard to change, and only happen when the new behavior is of more benefit, more fun, or easier than the old. It helps to write down what you are doing so you can figure out what needs to change and how it can happen.

Here’s my personal list of five problem habits, justifications I’ve been using, and strategies for positive action. I’m confident these changes will help me reach my fun-weight, mountain-bike-racing goal. I’ll let you know how it goes. I hope you’ll make your own list, even if it just starts with one positive change.

Skipping breakfast
• Why it’s not a good idea – 78% of enrollees in the National Weight Control Registry (those who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year) eat breakfast regularly. Your body needs fuel at the beginning of the day, not at the end.
• My justification – usually I start working by 6:30 every morning, and once I open my email it is really tough to take a break, even to eat. I tell myself that I’ll grab something later, and before I know it, it’s nearly mid-day.
• My strategy for change – until I’ve eaten breakfast, I’ll not look at any emails.

Snacking
• Why it’s a problem – snacking is rarely done because of hunger, and it’s easy to eat several hundred calories without thinking. Big snacks mean big slacks.
• My justification – hey, I missed breakfast! I’ve got to eat something to tide me over so I don’t overeat at lunch.
• My strategy for change – I’ll eat meals when I should, and will be sure to consume plenty of fiber foods to keep me full longer. No more eating except at meals.

Eating too fast

• What it does – causes you to eat more food than you need, and doesn’t give your brain time to tell you that you’re satisfied with less.
• My justification – I’m in a hurry and have things that need to get done. I don’t have extra time to waste when I eat.
• My strategy – I’ll schedule my meals just like any other appointment I have during the day so that I’ll have enough time to put my fork or spoon down after each bite, and to savor what’s on my plate.

Eating too late
• Can get you in 2 ways – you don’t need as much energy intake when you aren’t active, and most of us aren’t late in the day. You also won’t be hungry at breakfast time the next morning, so you’ll tend to skip the most important meal.
• My justification – I need to eat then because that’s when I have the most time. Also, that’s when it’s the best time to socialize with others.
• My strategy – I’ll eat my lowest calorie meal in the evening, no closer than 4 hours before I go to bed. I don’t have to eat a big meal in order to be sociable.

Not balancing calories in/calories out
• What happens – if you eat more calories than you burn off, you gain weight. Simple as that.
• My justification – I’m usually active every day, so even on the days I’m not it can’t do much harm if I still eat like I usually do, can it?
• My strategy – On days when I can’t exercise, I’ll not eat as much as I usually do, focusing even more on foods that are high-volume and low-calorie. That’s fiber foods, folks!


The author submits this blog posting as a health educator and not in any other capacity. You should seek the advice of your physician regarding a personal health condition or before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.

No comments:

Post a Comment